Welcome to Fern Valley

Here in central Alberta prime farm country,my husband Martin and I work together raising beef cattle and Appaloosa horses. Fern valley appaloosas have long been known for their quality of temperament conformation and color.I have recently rediscovered a love of writing and have published 2 collections of poetry. "Telling Tails" and Tails Trails and Campfire stories" . I look forward to a future spreading my wings as an author and as a horse woman .

Thursday 7 March 2013

Just the same only different

Harley, my sweet, adorable rogue. That is him , he is sweet, and good minded but he does have a bit of a diffferent  temperament that  Comet and Quinn, or Justus, or... not to say he wont come around, and hasn't already,but he does have a streak of  something different, something I havent seen since, well since really, his grand sire , Chips was a foal, and that a long time ago. Phoenix was a little this way too but the old man was the one. He never throws any really big stuff at you , just tries little things, constantly , always thinking always trying. He is now  standing nicely every time to be haltered, and accepts whoa and pressure nicely , but ... well I will let the pictures tell you , I may have won the battle , but I have a war yet to fight LOL.
 As you can see I have him, he is soft and not  pulling , but.. he is thinking about a way out . These pictures don't show he, or I at our best, and he really is soft on the lead  and not at all  what I would call "dirty" he just hasn't really decided that I am "the boss of him" just yet

Its OK  wars with these guys are never too bad , and so far I always win.
Maybe I can get some better pictures of him leading over the weekend , martin snapped these quickly on the way by for me ,but taking pics is not so much  his thing so I didn't push my luck.
Hoping to get some more time in with Harley as the weather is  warming up, maybe more than  just a few min a day leading him in for  supper , and soon enough he will come around and be the sweet gentle soul I know he is capable of being.For now(an always when working with horses) I will  remain alert .
Stay safe

7 comments:

Buttons Thoughts said...

Oh I indeed recognize that flight look in his eyes:) B

Crystal said...

A little fight early on isnt such a bad thing, saves from a big fight later sometimes :) He sure is a cute boy, but still needs a different color halter!

GoLightly said...

Red chestnut horses will always have a bit of the devil in them. He sure looks a little too smart for his own good;)

And maybe, just MAYbe, he wantz a BLUE halter.
Pink is SO not his colour.
:)

WishIHadAHorsey said...

Too cute! It reminds my of my 13 year old son's expression when I hug him.

4RRanch said...

I can see the wheels turning in his brain in that first picture. Don't listen to Crystal, I love the color of his halter. Real men can wear pink.

C-ingspots said...

Love the first pic! Go away mom...

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

He sure is a handsome devil....with a bit of mischief in his eyes. Sounds like has a plan to keep you on your toes!

~Lisa