Welcome to Fern Valley

Here in central Alberta prime farm country,my husband Martin and I work together raising beef cattle and Appaloosa horses. Fern valley appaloosas have long been known for their quality of temperament conformation and color.I have recently rediscovered a love of writing and have published 2 collections of poetry. "Telling Tails" and Tails Trails and Campfire stories" . I look forward to a future spreading my wings as an author and as a horse woman .

Tuesday 15 October 2013

I can go the distance

First  of  all,  thank  you all  for your  kind  words and support on my last post . I appreciate it more than you  could  ever  know. I am posting  a  little  more  about  that today  then  we  will move on  to bigger and better things

 I did  see my rheumatologist  today , he  was  a little  upset  I had  not  been  sent  back to him  sooner, but it is what it is , and I said, "well I am  here  now" to  which  he  gave  me a look I have  seen  from him  before , somewhere  between amused and exasperated LOL
Long  story short , the  news was not great, but  could always  be  worse . He is  starting  me in  a new medication  program  that has  had  good  results so fingers crossed!
He  did give me ,well what I am  going to take as a  compliment , that  with  the  bone and joint  damage  he was seeing , and inflammation, he was  quite surprised at how  much  mobility I have  maintained , So all in all I guess I am in  pretty  good  shape  for the shape I am in !
Went through  a battery of  X rays and  blood  tests as  well , so  by  the time I got in  my  truck I was  at the very  least, a  little out of  sorts . Started it  and what  should come on  the radio  but this  song
I can  go  the  distance , I have always  loved it , such a  powerful  message ! 
But the lines that  really  struck me  today were these;
 I'll be there someday, I can go the distance
I will find my way, if I can be strong
I know ev'ry mile, will be worth my while
When I go the distance, I'll be right where I belong


And I won't look back, I can go the distance
And I'll stay on track, no, I won't accept defeat
It's an uphill slope, but I won't lose hope
Till I go the distance, and my journey is complete

 yes I cried a  little . But the message is  there and oh so  true .

Got home and  went to the  place  where I often   draw my  strength and  calm. 







After all, if  you  can't find  peace among these  beauties, you  just aren't looking !(also  I believe the horses, and  the farm life are a big  reason I have  maintained such   mobility !) 


So  thanks  again friends , I have  some other  news  to share , about a  project I have  coming up I think  even more  reflects  the  song line " I will be  right  where I belong" , but I have  rambled on  enough about me  for now . Hope everyone is  well and  happy, and as  always , stay safe  my  friends 

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you have a plan to manage the health issues. And you're right, having horses around is a sure path to better health and mobility - and besides, you get to look at all those beautiful babies!

phaedra96 said...

Hope you are feeling a little better at least. I think I love Maks.

Buttons Thoughts said...

Oh HUGS my friend I understand the mobility and farming thing and yes it does. HUGS I cried a little too with those words.Keep going girl you are doing well.More hugs B

Paola said...

I love that song. You're right, the words are powerful.

aurora said...

Somedays are harder then others. You have such a great spirit Sherry! I have no doubt, you will go the distance. These photos are gorgeous, and emanate peacefulness...

kden said...

I agree that your farm is good medicine for you; it gives you a purpose and that in itself is a reason to go the distance.

C-ingspots said...

Oh Sherry, I'm sorry to hear that you've been dealing with such pain/mobility issues. Hopefully these new meds will be beneficial and you'll feel a lot better really soon. Will keep you in my prayers...
Your babies are absolutely remarkable!! They just keep getting better and better. I'm like you, whenever I'm feeling out of sorts about anything, I head out to be with the horses. They are the best source of peace and calm, and always helps me feel better. What would we do without them? I think you're right about the farm life too, it's hard work and the necessity of having to get out there and get things done, that keeps us moving all the time. It's a good life. Take heart my friend, you are a strong and healthy person. We just all have our crosses to bear.

greymare said...

You're too strong of a person to let this stop you. You are a "Git Er done" kind of woman. I too find the horses a very relaxed, calming effect. I understand whole heartedly what it is like to know what has to be done and just getting it done and suffering the consequences afterwards. Keep strong my friend.

Shirley said...

((((Hugs!)))) Hope the new meds are just the ticket. A little horse therapy makes everything much better. The little ones sure are gorgeous- lots of color in your fall!

Christmas-etc... said...

Hi there!
So sorry that I have been MIA! I've thought about you often! sorry to hear about your arm... it can be so painful. My solution to everything is a hot water bottle (not too hot) and dark dark chocolate! My family thinks I'm nuts but as long as I have those two things, I'm a happy little lady (ok...not too little!)
Seriously, I hope you get well soon. I know how important the use of your arm is especially to you with your ranch.
Blessings!
Ann

GoLightly said...

I think I need a Maks in my life.
Think he'd mind living in a back-yard?
:)

All the best, dear Fern.

You're the toughest broad I know.

4RRanch said...

Glad the news wasn't all bad. And all those spots when you get home has got to make you smile.