Welcome to Fern Valley

Here in central Alberta prime farm country,my husband Martin and I work together raising beef cattle and Appaloosa horses. Fern valley appaloosas have long been known for their quality of temperament conformation and color.I have recently rediscovered a love of writing and have published 2 collections of poetry. "Telling Tails" and Tails Trails and Campfire stories" . I look forward to a future spreading my wings as an author and as a horse woman .

Sunday 25 January 2015

I can't means you won't , and shall we dance?



 Hi! It's me, the absentee blogger again!
 I can't believe how fast January is cooking along! 
Same old routine,working, and living and spending a little time with this guy! 
THis little horse, always makes me smile , gotta love Johnny! 

And also treating this gal and her interesting injury! 
Ici came in last week for her supplements, and I noticed something unusual about her, her belly seemed to have a large swelling, On closer inspection I also saw a wound about 2 inches off the midline and open.I was understandably a bit concerned with the swelling, but after checking it out it was edema, and not free fluid, the belly wall was intact! thank goodness. Cleaned it up and started her on a course of antibiotics and she is healing well. What she did? I have no idea, best I can figure is she layed on something, we checked the pen, and removed a broken branch but really I have no idea if that was the culprit. I also texted my vet just to show her and confirm the course of treatment. 
Ici is a sweet mare, a little timid, but very easy to treat so this has been maybe time consuming but certainly not a tough chore 

The weather has been beautiful, but it is slippery around with all the melting so we are using the indoor at the stables even in daylight hours. Below is one of my clients working with Cat, so the look of it is simply practicing side passing along a rail, but the exercise  was about problem solving, and working through distractions. Also the "plan to succeed" and believe in yourself. We have some trouble from time to time with a bad case of the "I can'ts" Working on changing the thought process from I can't , which essentially means I won't to I will, or even I'll try . Funny how simple changes in wording changes the energy we approach a task with. If we can change the spin on our internal recording, it is amazing what we can accomplish! 




 Not all sunshine and light but together they got the job done


 Working with Cat and Andee at the barn brings new challenges for the horses,myself and the kids, there are often other people and horses around and just eh newness of working in an indoor arena with the shadows and light can change the dynamic. Cat and Andee are troopers and doing well with it, but it can be distracting. The kids both really loved working with Tango, and find the different personalities of Cat and Andee to be a challenge as well. Andee , is very soft and a little timid, and then there is Cat, super confident, and well, large and in charge! With her the kids will often lean towards working with Andee then somehow Cat ,just presents herself to them , and both have turned to working with her. SHe is pretty sensitive in her own right, and when the kids are showing petulance or attitude about an exercise, she reflects it right back to them. It is awesome when the kids realise she is doing just that , they get a little huffy with her then usually laugh and get back to work ! Lol

That said , Andee's softness and quiet nature is helping also , one of the moms was quite fearful of horses when we started, and between Tango and Andee, as you can see she is becoming far more at ease


Both families, have requested the opportunity when the weather is good, to come back to working with Tango(FV Shall We Dance)  from time to time. His last session was in early December ,and while I see  him and give him a pat every day he is a "kid" and mostly just turned out and growing. Today was a lovely day so we brought him in and as the pictures show, he was awesome! 

 All work was done at liberty , he followed, backed and stood like he was born knowing it all! Respectful of space,and responsive to body language ,energy and touch!
Yes Shirley , this colt is still listed for sale, but trust me , I am in no hurry to see him go. SOmewhere out there is just the right person for him. But while we have him here, I am sure going to enjoy working with him and watching him grow. 
A big part of me wants to say , just keep him. But a horse this special ,has so much to offer ,if the right match happens for him I will be proud to send him off . 
Still working on that little side project, but after my cortisone injection in my elbow last week, most projects went on hold for a bit. Back in fighting shape now (sort of ) so I went swimming again this week and will be getting back to work on the "super secret project " lol 
 This weekend is about some mid winter spring cleaning , organising my office and getting some things done here, which included taking the harrows around the farm behind the gator to rough up the ice, and make walking a less "harrowing " prospect! I wear my cleats nearly everywhere in the winter, but this helps too 

That's all for now , stay safe my friends!

7 comments:

Country Gal said...

Sounds like you have been busy . Wonderful photos . I am glad Ici is doing well sometimes these things happen and ya just dont know how . Thanks foe sharing Have a good week !

aurora said...

Good to hear from/see you, cute selfie. Nice lessons with your students! Positive thinking can be very powerful.

Shirley said...

Interesting how Cat ups the ante with the students. Each horse has to much to teach no matter how different they are.

Janice Grinyer said...

Uhmm, i need a nap now... YOU BE BUSY GIRLFRIEND!!!

Love the shots of the horses - everyone is coming along nicely!

xox

cdncowgirl said...

Oh good idea, I should drag our harrows around. Thankfully it's not too icy but the snow is that crusty almost icy texture.

I love watching your clients and their progress :)

C-ingspots said...

It's always interesting to me that when working with horses and kids, we often learn new things too...horses are the best teachers.
And it's a lot of fun!
As always, it's amazing to me how busy, busy, busy life is - but sounds like you're definitely not bored.

4RRanch said...

Sounds like lots going on. I'm convinced a horse can find a way to get hurt with bubble wrap in a padded stall. Glad she is getting better. Stay warm!